Forum

Error uploading .vcf files  

RSS

dorianhbron
(@dorianhbron)
13/03/2018 1:27 am  

I was able to upload several .vcf files last month into my WordPress Media Uploader. Now, I keep getting an error that says, "Sorry, this file type is not permitted for security reasons". I updated WordPress and all plugins, and still got the same error. I have downloaded and activated several plugins (only one installed at a time, of course) that claim to allow .vcf files in the MIME type. Still no luck, so I deleted each of the plugins.

WordPress version is now 4.9.4 running Divi Child theme.

leo
 leo
(@leo)
Active Member Admin
27/03/2018 10:01 am  

Hey, thanks for reporting the case. 

This become a well known issue lately. The easiest solution is to add the following line in your wp-config.php file:

define(‘ALLOW_UNFILTERED_UPLOADS’, true)

Another solution is to allow specific file types. This could easily be done by adding the following piece of code to functions.php of your theme. If yourDivi Child theme has its own functions.php file, please add the said code to it. Alternatively you may add it to functions.php part of the parent theme: 

function enable_extended_upload ( $mime_types =array() ) {

// The MIME types listed here will be allowed in the media library.

// You can add as many MIME types as you want.

$mime_types[‘gz’]  = ‘application/x-gzip’;

$mime_types[‘zip’]  = ‘application/zip’;

$mime_types[‘rtf’] = ‘application/rtf’;

$mime_types[‘ppt’] = ‘application/mspowerpoint’;

$mime_types[‘ps’] = ‘application/postscript’;

$mime_types[‘flv’] = ‘video/x-flv’;

// If you want to forbid specific file types which are otherwise allowed,

// specify them here.  You can add as many as possible.

unset( $mime_types[‘exe’] );

unset( $mime_types[‘bin’] );

return $mime_types;

}

add_filter(‘upload_mimes’, ‘enable_extended_upload’);

From security point of view, the second option is preferred. 

Please give a try to one of these options and let us know is we helped. 

ReplyQuote
Share:

We are not industry specific. We are WordPress specific. We work with everyone to help find solutions for the troubles.
If you show us the problem you are experiencing, we will show you how to fix it. It is that simple.

Easy WordPress automation

Switching from human control to automation is an essential step in increasing the efficiency of website development or maintenance. During the past decade, WordPress advanced a lot and became a fully functional Content Management System. Thanks to some of its internal features a large portion of its functionality could be easily automated. The following articles give ideas on how to apply successful automation:

Speed up WordPress

Speed is an important matter when it comes to website success. In order to appear on the first page except for applying the well-known SEO techniques, you will also have to pay special attention to the performance of your website. We have reviewed a number of options and prepared articles for the most important aspects that include database management and dealing with different types of content:

Extend WordPress features

Extending the standard WordPress functionality by building new features was always a hot topic. Developing themes that provide next-level User Experience could also be described similarly. Thanks to the established standards WordPress developers could create standardized extensions that can be downloaded from the official repository. In the following articles, we described some simple techniques that would help start developing your own extensions:

wppotion - powered by persistence and passion

Please Login or Register